[Image-SIG] _imagingft for OSX

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Thu Nov 8 22:31:02 CET 2007

Scott Frankel wrote:

> Finally got PIL to build and install without error.
>
> Stuck now on using the ImageFont module.  Where do I get _imagingft?
> How is it built and installed?

if the setup.py script is able to find the freetype2 library, it's built
by default.

the following excerpt from setup.py might be somewhat helpful:

         elif sys.platform == "darwin":
             # attempt to make sure we pick freetype2 over other versions
             add_directory(include_dirs, "/sw/include/freetype2")
             add_directory(include_dirs, "/sw/lib/freetype2/include")
             # fink installation directories
             add_directory(library_dirs, "/sw/lib")
             add_directory(include_dirs, "/sw/include")
             # darwin ports installation directories
             add_directory(library_dirs, "/opt/local/lib")
             add_directory(include_dirs, "/opt/local/include")

if you get stuck, maybe you could just use a prebuilt version?

     http://pythonmac.org/packages/

this thread may also be somewhat helpful:

     http://mail.python.org/pipermail/image-sig/2007-April/004395.html

</F>

ps. if someone has more Mac OS X boxes than they have use for, let me
know ;-)