[Image-SIG] PIL on a Mac

Paul Rigor paulrigor at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 23:41:52 CEST 2007

Hi,

You should checkout http://www.finkproject.org/ which creates a 'sandbox'
for gnu/unix/non-mac utilities.  It comes with a GUI which lets you select
packages from their repository (similar to a yum/apt-get repository for
several linux distributions out there).  It also comes with command-line
tools, if you prefer.

Once you've installed fink and python, you can directly call the python
binary installed in the fink default bin (eg, /sw/bin/) when using the setup
tools (eg, setup.py) which comes with PIL.  Using this fink 'python' will
install the PIL package inside python's corresponding site-packages folder.

In order to set the fink environment automatically every time you use the
terminal, you'll need to modify your .bash_profile. Add the following line
"test -r /sw/bin/init.sh && . /sw/bin/init.sh".  You'll of course need to
adapt the fink installation path as you see fit.

Good luck,
Paul

http://www.nrdcaction.org/gwtakeaction
http://www.nrdcactionfund.org/tellafriend.asp