[Image-SIG] Truetype representation in Windows and Linux

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Mon Jul 31 14:12:43 CEST 2006

daniel at roseman.org.uk wrote:

> I'm using PIL to dynamically create graphical text headers for my
> website, using a truetype font. Testing this at home on my Windows box
> works fine. When I upload it to the Linux server, the fonts appear
> subtly different - the size of the overall

in addition to the native hinting issues, check the versions of the
freetype and PIL libraries.

I've seen rather large differences between the output from different
freetype versions (probably due to improvements/bug fixes in freetype's
autohinter), and the font metric calculation was changed in PIL 1.1.6b1,
to better handle fonts with "excessive bearings".