[Image-SIG] Quicker image transfer, tobuffer?

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Tue Jul 11 19:43:18 CEST 2006

Pete Shinners wrote:
> Christopher Barker <Chris.Barker <at> noaa.gov> writes:

>> http://numeric.scipy.org/array_interface.html

> Yeah, this would be an ideal solution. I hope more of the base array stuff can
> get into Python 2.6.

> We did look at the array proposal, but haven't been able to jump on it yet
> because of adoption. I guess it needs another package or two to get the ball
> rolling.

Well, it would be nice if PyGame and PIL were that those packages.
wxPython will be using it before to long -- I"m going to write the code
for that if no one beats me to it.

It doesn't need to be in the standard library to use it, it's not much
to include with your source.

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> unfortunately, the "array interface" model isn't even close to be able
> to describe a PIL image memory (the "Imaging" structure)...

Well Darn. Why not? Please, please, please send a note about this to the
numpy list. It's certainly a goal that it be able represent image data
as well as numerical data.

> is the __array_struct__ CObject thing new, btw?

I don't think so, but it has changed. I'm an advocate, beause I want to
use it, but I'm not an expert on it by any means.

-CHB

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov