[Image-SIG] Unable to get PIL to load jpeg images (2)

peter.mosley at dsl.pipex.com peter.mosley at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Feb 7 23:06:23 CET 2006

Fair point.  I didn't understand what I was looking for in the way of JPEG
libraries and was reluctant to risk damaging some unrelated files.

I have found a reference in
http://effbot.org/zone/pil-decoder-jpeg-not-available.htm.  Here it says that
for PIL 1.1.5 I should change the setup.py file so that JPEG_ROOT points to the
directory where the libjpeg library is installed.  In setup.py there is a  comment:-

# Use None to look for the libraries in well-known library locations.

I'm not sure where the jpeg libraries are (or what to look for).  As I said in
before, the only files I can find which look likely are

/usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62.0.0, and a symbolic link /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62

I would have though that /usr/lib is a well known library location.
Nevertheless I tried changing the line  JPEG_ROOT = None to JPEG_ROOT =
"/usr/lib" and reran setup.py. The output was

[root at localhost Imaging-1.1.5]# python setup.py install
running install
running build
running build_py
running build_ext
PIL 1.1.5 BUILD SUMMARY
version       1.1.5
platform      linux2 2.3.4 (#1, Feb  2 2005, 12:11:53)
              [GCC 3.4.2 20041017 (Red Hat 3.4.2-6.fc3)]
--- TKINTER support ok
*** JPEG support not available
--- ZLIB (PNG/ZIP) support ok
--- FREETYPE2 support ok
To add a missing option, make sure you have the required
library, and set the corresponding ROOT variable in the
setup.py script.

I must have jpeg libraries somewhere, as other appliations (eg GIMP and gThumb)
will show jpeg images.  But if they're not in /usr/lib, and the locate command
doesn't show any other likely candidates, how do I go about finding them?  And
if I do find them, is it literally just a case of setting the JPEG_ROOT variable?

Peter