[Image-SIG] Having trouble with raw encoder.

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Jul 6 02:02:53 CEST 2005

I receive data from an external source, 4 bytes per pixel, as

I'm having trouble getting this to work properly. I thought it should be
simple - but it doesn't seem to be, so I guess I'm misunderstanding
something. I reproduced the problem in a small sample function
independent of my data source:

> def handle(filename):
>     orig = Image.open(filename)
>     print orig.format, orig.size, orig.mode
>     xrgbstring = orig.tostring('raw', "XRGB")
>     print  "length of xrgbstring", len(xrgbstring), [ord(x) for x in
> xrgbstring[:20]]
>     t2 = Image.fromstring("RGB", orig.size, xrgbstring, 'raw', "XRGB")
>     t2.save("t2.jpg")

The second print statement confirms for me that I have got this data
into the same format as I need to deal with - and I expected the
following 'fromstring' to give me the correct result. But once saved,
"t2.jpg" looks all wrong - looks like  4 ghostly copies of the original.

I did notice that in unpack.c, the entry for XRGB says

>     {"RGB",    "XRGB",        24,    ImagingUnpackXRGB},

and wondered why "24" bits - seemed like it should be 32 - but I know
I'm well out of my depth here, and it's time to ask for help.

Any ideas or suggestions ?
Thanks,