[Image-SIG] install PIL

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Thu Jan 13 00:53:51 CET 2005

On Jan 12, 2005, at 18:41, Chris Barker wrote:

> Fei Xu wrote:
>> I am installing PIL on Mac Os X. I ran the command python setup.py
>> build
>> and get an error messange as below:
>> Fatal Python error: Interpreter not initialized (version mismatch?)
>> Abort
>
> That looks like the error you get when you have more than one version
> of Python installed on your system, and OS-X mixes the libraries up.
> This happens because of the way the python that came with OS-X (2.3.0)
> was put together.
>
> The easiest solution is to get rid of all pythons except Apple's one.
> Unless you REALLY need something in a more recent version, it works
> just fine.

After you remove other Python installations, remove any extension you
built while you had multiple Python installations.  These extensions
are linked incorrectly.

> Also, you should be able to get PIL through the Package Manager that
> comes with the MacPython add-ons package.

Available from <http://homepages.cwi.nl/~jack/macpython/download.html>,
but a new version is these add-ons is coming out Very Soon that
incorporates fixes to PackageManager, etc.

> If you have other problems, search the Python-Mac mailing list, or
> post a question there if your question isn't answered in the archives.

Once you have removed other Python(s), install this fix
<http://www.cwi.nl/~jack/macpython/PantherPythonFix.dmg> (referenced by
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pythonmac-sig/2004-December/
012501.html>).

After this fix is installed, it will be safe (well, safer) to have
multiple Python installations.

-bob