[Image-SIG] problem installing PIL

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Mon Aug 29 21:09:21 CEST 2005

Guido Roberto Carballo Guerrero wrote:

> My problem is with the selftest. This is what I get:

> IOError: decoder jpeg not available

> Do you know what these means? And how can I solve the problem.
> 'Cause I assume there is a problem, and that why I get the IOError.

when you ran the setup.py file, it probably told you that it couldn't
find a working JPEG decoding library, e.g.

        PIL 1.1.5 BUILD SUMMARY
        *** JPEG support not available
        To add a missing option, make sure you have the required
        library, and set the corresponding ROOT variable in the
        setup.py script.

> What is this decoder, how can I find it, and installed.

see the "Prerequisites" section in the README file (under "Build
instructions (all platforms)")

if you have the JPEG library on your machine, but PIL cannot find it,
you will have to edit the setup.py file.  see the instructions at the top
of that file for details.