[Image-SIG] Re: PIL 1.1.5 alpha 4 (september 12, 2004)

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Mon Sep 13 16:05:46 CEST 2004

> HELP WANTED!

> I've tested this on a variety of Windows and Unix boxes (including an
> assortment of Linux versions), and every major Python version from
> 1.5.2 and onwards, but I still need help with:
>
>    1) Mac OS X
>    2) Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, and other non-x867 Unixes.
>    3) any other platform you can think of...

    RedHat (assorted versions) OK
    Fedora Core OK
    Mandrake OK
    tru64 5.0 OK
    AIX 5.2 OK (some C tweaks needed; will be fixed in the next release)
    Solaris 9 OK
    Windows w. MSVC 6.0 OK
    Mac OS X 10.3.4 OK
    Mac OS X 10.3.5 FAILED

(thanks to everyone who has contributed reports!)

As you can see, things look really good on Unix and Windows, but the
Mac OS X situation is more problematic.  Here's the exact report:

$ python setup.py build_ext -i
running build_ext
building '_imaging' extension
gcc -Wl,-F. -Wl,-F. -bundle -framework Python
[list of object files snipped]
-L/usr/lib
-L/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib -lz -o
PIL/_imaging.so
ld: -F may not be used without -shared

Any Mac OS X experts around?