[Image-SIG] Re: 3d-2d image conversion program?

Chris Gahan chris at ill-logic.com
Fri Mar 12 02:12:19 EST 2004

"Melissa Kanzelberger" <makanzel at mtu.edu> wrote in message
news:2232.141.219.24.186.1078621213.squirrel at huskymail.mtu.edu...
> I am writing to the list because I am in need of a program that could take
> a very large (365,404kb) 3d image and convert it to a 2d slice of that
> image.  I was wondering if a progam like that was available.  I also need
> a program to take that 2-d image and insert it back into the 3d file.
> Does anyone know if anything like that exists?  Please let me know!
> Thanks so much for your help.

Hmm... that's an interesting problem. I'm having trouble imagining how you'd
take a slice from a 3d file and put it back in though. Are you talking about
a 3D volumetric-image file? Like, a 3-dimensional array of pixels? If you
are, then I'm pretty sure PIL doesn't support that kind of file. And if
you're not talking about that kind of file, then... I have no idea what
you're talking about. :)

With a file that big, and a format that ... custom, you're going to need to
write or find a special slicer/inserter.

Is this for some kind of medial application? Like MRI?