[Image-SIG] ImageFont on Linux? Was: Hard to OCR font

Marilyn Davis marilyn at deliberate.com
Sun Apr 18 22:52:49 EDT 2004

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004, Chuck Bass wrote:

> It depends what you are trying to do.
>
> I've looked at what various sites do to prevent autoregistration and
> they use a 'normal' font with a complex background and lines (and
> other geometries) going through the data.  Typically the background
> is much bigger than the text.  The 'complex' background is quite
> random ususally, in some ways like b/w camoflauge.
>
> Try to register for a yahoo group to see thier method.

Yes, Chuck, it's cool stuff.  I'm dying to try to do something.

I'm going to use it to block mail, except from humans.  I'm tired of
struggling with spam-filter schemes.

> It seems to me if you use a 'standard font' on white background you
> will be suseptable to various correlation methods of deducing the
> text.

Yes, I don't want to use 'standard font'.  I found lots of cool fonts
but I can't get them to load.

I'm wondering, are there issues with using ImageFont with Linux?

Has it been tested?  I keep thinking I'm doing something wrong.  Has
anyone made .pil's on Linux?  If I make .pil's on Windows, are they
good on Linux too?

I guess I'll try that next.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Marilyn