[Image-SIG] Aliasing problem using PIL ..

Bryan Lawrence b.n.lawrence@rl.ac.uk
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 09:12:03 +0000

Hi Folks

Isn't it amazing how sharing a problem immediately concentrates your mind?

Firstly, Brandon is right, it's the top left, and that's what I wanted it to
do, I just commented it for the list in a hurry ... wrongly ...

In the process of putting the jpg files on a website in reply to Bradon's
email and to avoid filling folks inboxes, I used something else to view the
files, and discovered that the aliasing problem is not in the output image,
but in
  a) the packages which squeeze the image up to fit on my display, and
  b) possibly, their printer drivers.
(I had tried two different viewers ... obviously not enuff ...) So, after
troubling you all, there is nothing wrong with the output of this programme,
everything is wong with what I do next (or with the concept).

Can I restate my (new) problem in two parts?

Firstly, what i'm trying to do is produce an output image which loses as
little as possible of the resolution of the input images, so I'm aiming to
produce the output as close as possible to the desired print resolution.
(That's why it's a 4800x6600 image, which ought to be 8 inches by 11 inches
at 600 dpi - not 300 as I said in my badly commented snip
of code).   Does that make sense?

Secondly, what's a sensible way of getting such an image to a printer
with the minimum distortion introduced by an image display printer driver?
Is there a good package under linux (suse 8.1). (Given that the target printer
is a psc2115 using the hpoj/hpijs combination)

Once again, apologies, I feel like these are rather trivial questions, but
I'm new at this, and I don't know where else to ask.

Thanks in advance,
Bryan