[Image-SIG] Linux installation problem

K Schutte schutte@fel.tno.nl
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 16:59:21 +0200

The README file states at point 6:

        $ python setup.py build
        $ python setup.py install

For another then the default python version use that python version;
for RedHat 7.2 I have python1.5 as default, but python2.1 is in my path.

Typing
$ python2.1 setup.py build
$ python2.1 setup.py install

should build and install PIL for python 2.1.

Changing the default python version to 2.2 means that in your
path you should have a link named python to python2.2.
On my RedHat 7.2 /usr/bin/python is linked to .5
Thus you might want to
# rm /usr/bin/python
# ln /usr/bin/python2 /usr/bin/python
which of course could break any 'standard' RedHat applications which assume
that /usr/bin/python is python 1.5 with associated installed packages.

Klamer