[Image-SIG] Re: Serious PNG bug

Yitzchak Gale gale@biomedicom.com
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 11:59:12 +0200

Sorry, my previous post came out looking
like a binary glob in the list archive,
courtesy of Microsoft Outlook.

Here it is again via good ole' pipe to
sendmail:

Hi,

This is yet another reminder about a serious
bug in PIL regarding the PNG format. PIL
sometimes fails while loading a valid PNG
image.

This bug was first reported on this list by
Bernhard Herzog way back in October 1999.
It was reported several more times since then.
Bernhard even posted a patch that fixes the bug
in July 2001.

No one has ever responded to any of the posts
about this bug. As of the current version of
PIL (1.1.2), the bug still exists.

And yes, the reason I am posting is because
I was just bitten hard by this bug. I hope
someone will notice and fix it for the next
version.

Thanks to Bernhard for his great work on imaging
in general and this issue in particular, thanks
to all those who have done great work on PIL, and
thanks in advance to whoever will fix this bug.

Yitz Gale