[Image-SIG] Pil format fonts... creating a high-res library for all to use...

Kevin Cazabon KCAZA@cymbolic.com
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 10:03:10 -0800

As I mentioned earlier in the week, I wish to create a library of high-resolution PIL
fonts for the PIL world to use.  To this end, I've purchased a program that will RIP
Windows fonts into BDF format at any resolution... and it works quite well!

However, there's some problems with the formatting in their BDF files, which I need
some clarafication on so that I can 'hobble' BdfFontFile.py to accept them.

Fred, if there's anything you can provide for suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it!

-It does not provide proper "ENCODING" values:  all are -1.  I don't see this as a
big problem, as it RIPS all 255 characters whether they're present or not, and puts
them in the BDF file in order.  I've patched it to count upwards, and I'm hoping that
they're in the correct order... maybe.  If not, I may be able to get the values from
another field that 'looks' like the correct number to me, at least... q:]

-It does not provide "ASCENT" and "DESCENT" values... what are these, and can I use a
'default' value that will work?

-It does not provide all the info in the "FONT" field that BdfFontFile.py expects,
bur just the name of the font.  How do I figure out what these values should be, if
it's at all possible?  This includes the type of font ("Roman", "Itallic", etc.), the
spacing, etc.  Seeing as I'm creating the font to my own specifications (resolution
and point size), I may be able to manually configure this data...?

I can send you a sample font file if you like, it may help.

If this endeavour is successful, we may be able to provide some very good quality
fonts for inclusion in the PIL library, or at least as a separate download.

Kevin Cazabon.