[Image-SIG] Problems running / installing PIL on SunOS

Daniel Rusch drusch@globalcrossing.com
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 14:24:55 -0500

I have installed PIL (1.0) on my box and I wrote the foolowing test
code:

import PIL, PIL.Image
i = PIL.Image.open('/home/caps/test/zope/Extensions/gclogo_color.gif')
i.convert('RGB')

lines 1 nad 2 work fine, line three generates the following error:

  File "test.py", line 3, in ?
    i.convert('RGB')
  File "/home/caps/test/zope/lib/python1.5/site-packages/PIL/Image.py",
line 397, in convert
    self.load()
  File "ImageFile.py", line 125, in load
  File "ImageFile.py", line 175, in load_prepare
  File "/home/caps/test/zope/lib/python1.5/site-packages/PIL/Image.py",
line 40, in __getattr__
    raise ImportError, "The _imaging C module is not installed"
ImportError: The _imaging C module is not installed

If I run the following code:

import _imaging

I get this error:

Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: ld.so.1: python: fatal: relocation error: file
./_imaging.so: symbol XFreeColormap: referenced symbol not found

Any thoughts,

DR

P.S. Please reply all, as I just subscribed to this sig