[Image-SIG] Image MetaData for resolution of file...

kcaza@cymbolic.com kcaza@cymbolic.com
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 09:14:18 -0700

Is there any way to have PIL save the resolution of a file (dpi) when saving an
image?  As it is, everything defaults to the standard 72dpi (I assume because it
omits the tag altogether), which causes problems when trying to print images in
most programs without re-sizing.

For my applications, I need to print images at EXACT sizes, and if the dpi tag
is missing, it's very difficult to do.

The file formats that it's most important to me for are TIFF, BMP, EPS and PDF,
but I would also love to have it work in others like GIF, PNG, and TGA.

Can this be done?  I'd gladly code it, but I don't know enough about the file
structures for these formats to start adding tags right now.

Any help is appreciated,

Kevin Cazabon