[Image-SIG] now is the time...

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 23:55:25 +0100

PIL 1.0 final isn't far away.  I'm pretty much waiting
for Guido to freeze 1.5.2 (to make sure 1.5.2 final
doesn't break PIL...)

so now is the right time to speak up if there's any-
thing in the current beta that's bothering you.

here's what's fixed right now:

-- BICUBIC on RGB images actually called BILINEAR
   (bug reported by Gary Herron and others)

-- 8-bit PCX images now works again
   (bug reported by Bernard Herzog, of Sketch
   fame).

-- speedups when pasting RGBA images on RGB

-- new experimental mode: RGBa which is similar
   to RGBA, but the colour components are pre-
   multiplied with the alpha.  you can convert
   RGBA => RGBa, and paste RGBa on RGB images
   (which is about twice as fast as pasting RGBA
   images...).  you cannot use RGBa for anything
   else -- it's only there to speed up compositing.

-- some optimizations and minor tweaks in the
   ImageDraw polygon renderer

-- color fixes in ImageDraw.text
   (hmm.  forgot who reported this).

-- minor tweaks to make Mac compilers happy
   (Jack Jansen, Rob Managan)

-- probably some more things I've forgotten about
   right now...

here's what's going to be fixed before the release:

-- improvements to the Tiff codec

-- under 1.5.2, PIL can hook itself into a standard
   version of Tk.  (if you're doing anything serious
   with Tk on Windows, you'll want the patched
   version anyway...).

-- maybe some more small windows-specific things,
   that I cannot talk about right now...

Cheers /F