[IMAGE-SIG] Fw: problem with PIL and 1.5

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Sat, 31 Jan 1998 11:35:14 +0100

(catched by the mailing list software.  "help" is not a good
enough subject, obviously).

a quick reply: as you noticed, Guido has added the necessary
stuff to tkappinit.c. the only thing you should have to do is to
define WITH_PIL, either in the Setup file or in tkappinit.c.

also watch out for compilation errors.  there was some API
changes in 8.0 final that affects PIL (don't recall which ones
at the moment, but your compiler should tell you...).

Cheers /F

>Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 16:01:50 -0500 (EST)
>From: Lupe Howell FSU (850)644-3776 <LUPE@FSHEWC.HEP.FSU.EDU>
>To: image-sig@python.org
>Subject: Help
>
>Hi,
>    We have installed python v1.5 in a DEC OSF/1 V3.2 (Rev. 214)
>with tcl/tk v8.0 and we are trying to include the Imaging Library 0.3a1
>by following the README file V1.11
>
>When we try a test of the Image.PhotoImage we get a core dump:
>
> python ../Scripts/viewer.py lena.gif
>Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
>The README file says to add the Tkinter support lines
>    {
>        extern void TkImaging_Init(Tcl_Interp * );
>        TkImaging_Init(interp);
>    }
>
>after the MOREBUTTONS stuff. Where specifically? Inside the lines defined
>by the following #ifdef WITH_MOREBUTTONS
>
>#ifdef WITH_MOREBUTTONS
>    {
>        extern Tcl_CmdProc studButtonCmd;
>        extern Tcl_CmdProc triButtonCmd;
>
>        Tcl_CreateCommand(interp, "studbutton", studButtonCmd,
>                  (ClientData) main, NULL);
>        Tcl_CreateCommand(interp, "tributton", triButtonCmd,
>                  (ClientData) main, NULL);
>    }
>
>#endif
>
>or is the following #ifdef WITH_PIL sufficient?
>
>#ifdef WITH_PIL /* 0.2b5 and later -- not yet released as of May 14 */
>    {
>        extern void TkImaging_Init(Tcl_Interp * );
>        TkImaging_Init(interp);
>        /* XXX TkImaging_Init() doesn't have the right return type */
>        /*Tcl_StaticPackage(interp, "Imaging", TkImaging_Init, NULL);*/
>    }
>#endif
>

>We tried both places (inside the MOREBUTTONS or WITH_PIL). But either way
>we get a core dump.
>

>    Any help, suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Thanks
>

>Lupe Howell
>Florida State University
>lupe@hep.fsu.edu
>(904) 644-3776

IMAGE-SIG - SIG on Image Processing with Python

send messages to: image-sig@python.org
administrivia to: image-sig-request@python.org