[PYTHON IMAGE-SIG] OCR information

Andrew Kuchling amk@magnet.com
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 16:13:31 -0500 (EST)

I'd like to do some volunteer work for the Gutenberg Project, scanning
and OCRing texts.  Since I run Linux on an Alpha, OCR software is
difficult to acquire, and I'm thinking of writing my own in C and
Python.  However, there doesn't seem to be an obvious starting
reference; texts on image processing cover convolutions, filters, and
the like, but not feature analysis or recognition.  This SIG seems
like the best place to ask: can anyone recommend a good textbook or
collection of papers on OCR?

And, while I'm at it, has anyone written code to perform 2D Fourier
transforms on PIL images?

	Thanks in advance...

	Andrew Kuchling
	amk@magnet.com
	http://people.magnet.com/%7Eamk/
Save the Gutenberg Project! http://www.promo.net/pg/nl/pgny_nov96.html

IMAGE-SIG - SIG on Image Processing with Python

send messages to: image-sig@python.org
administrivia to: image-sig-request@python.org