[PYTHON IMAGE-SIG] Newbie: lena.jpg fails to load

Ken Whedbee whedbee@ddi.digital.net
20 Mar 1997 21:14:59 -0500

Hi -

I'm getting a failure trying to load "lena.jpg" and would like some
pointers in resolving this.  I can get "lena.gif" to load correctly.
However, when I try "lena.jpg" I get:

Python 1.4 (Nov 17 1996)  [GCC 2.6.3]
>>> import Image
>>> im = Image.open('lena.jpg')
>>> im.resize((500, 500))
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/local/lib/python1.4/Imaging/Lib/Image.py", line 321, in resize
    self.load()
  File "/local/lib/python1.4/Imaging/Lib/ImageFile.py", line 148, in load
    d = _getdecoder(d, e, a, self.decoderconfig)
  File "/local/lib/python1.4/Imaging/Lib/ImageFile.py", line 49, in _getdecoder
    raise IOError, "decoder %s not available" % d
IOError: decoder jpeg not available

My platform is FreeBSD 2.1.6.  In building the Python Imaging library
release 0.2b4, I used jpeglib6.0, tcl7.5, tk4.1.  I specified jpeg
support in the Setup file, and JpegDecode.c and JpegEncode.c compiled
into object files in the libImaging subdirectory.

Thanks in advance for any insights !

--
Ken Whedbee
mailto:whedbee@ddi.digital.net

IMAGE-SIG - SIG on Image Processing with Python

send messages to: image-sig@python.org
administrivia to: image-sig-request@python.org