[PYTHON IMAGE-SIG] Re: How to derive classes in the Imaging library

Fredrik Lundh fredrik_lundh@ivab.se
Mon, 17 Feb 1997 14:09:50 +0100

> I am trying to derive a new class from class Image in Image.py in
> Fredrik Lundh's PIL (Python Imaging Library). I'm not entirely sure of
> the reasoning behind the Image class structure, but it uses a factory
> function in the module called new to create new instances of class
> Image. This is, I guess, so that images can be created in different
> ways (ie from a file with the open() factory function).

The Image class is just a wrapper for the internal ImagingCore type;
it was never really designed for general subclassing...  But as you
pointed out, the _makeself method allows you to get some control over
what all those factory methods in there really returns.

> I guess a different way of looking at it is - Is there any way of
> initialising the baseClass part from a derived class __init__()
> given a already existing instance of the base class?

Maybe you could do something like:

	class XImage(Image):

	    def __init__(self, mode, size, bg = 0):

		# initialize base class part
		Image.__init__(self)

		# whatever

	    def _makeself(self, im):

		# wrap ImagingCore object in a suitable Python class

Cheers	/F

IMAGE-SIG - SIG on Image Processing with Python

send messages to: image-sig@python.org
administrivia to: image-sig-request@python.org