[PYTHON IMAGE-SIG] Imaging

Dave Mitchell davem@magnet.com
Sun, 23 Jun 1996 17:28:32 -0400 (EDT)

  So, I finally got back to working on my live Indycam stuff (working
towards a page with real-time image grabbing from the camera, with
images never getting saved to disk, as opposed to a cron job which
consumes resources all the time).

  The camera can handle upwards of 30 fps. no problem, but the realtime
raw to (some format) conversion is a pain!

  For my quickcam solution on my Linux PC, I was able to hack up something
without much hassle because I hardcoded myself a 64-greyscale palette
and hacked the hell out of someone else's code (giflib-2.2) to the point
where I couldn't reproduce it even if I wanted to..

  For the Indycam, I got the python module to the point at which I could
GET the raw image, and left it there.

  Now that I have PIL, I have a chance of getting this thing where I
want it! Today I got a page going which snaps the image and does the
conversion to jpeg, and spits it out.

  You can give it a try  (until the server dies or I kill it) at:
   http://waxmaster.magnet.com:6969/snoop/vlsnap.py

  Compare it with the (faster, but black&white) original Dave-cam at:
    http://roach.magnet.com/snoop/snoop.py

  This whole process of taking one image and converting it to a jpeg takes
a bit over 2 seconds which leaves plenty to be desired as far as "real-time"!
Converting to gif is even slower (about 4 seconds) because it uses the pbm
stuff to do it with...

  My question is, is there going to be native gif-writing support anytime
soon, or do I have to^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hget to write it myself?

							Dave

IMAGE-SIG - SIG on Image Processing with Python

send messages to: image-sig@python.org
administrivia to: image-sig-request@python.org