[Idle-dev] printing in IDLE

Kurt B. Kaiser kbk at shore.net
Fri Apr 9 18:05:57 EDT 2004

<tpc at csua.berkeley.edu> writes:

> hi Kurt, granted Ctrl-p is mapped to print in Windows Notepad and Word,
> but at least in Windows you get a Print dialog box that pops up and,
> depending on a click or keystroke, sends a job to the print spool or not.

That's a good point.

> On Debian as soon as I hit Ctrl-p a job is sent to the print spool.  For
> me this is undesirable.  Additionally printing IDLE on Debian seems to
> truncate output on the left hand side, which is why I wanted to disable
> print-window.

Ah, right, I keep forgetting you're using Debian with Windows keybindings.

Well, use the Unix keybindings  :-)

Seriously, maybe you can find an option to lpr, which is what IDLE is
using on Unix.  Simply change the following line in config-main.def:

print-command-posix=lpr %s

Try:
print-command-posix=lpr -i 20 %s

--