[I18n-sig] i18n : Tkinter app and iso-8859-1 ?

francois schnell francois.schnell at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 23:51:06 CEST 2006

Hello all,

I have a Python script (with Tkinter GUI) I've i18n with gettext (the script
is in English and my po -> mo file in French 'fr') :

In my script:
---
localedir= "locale"
gettext.install("liberlab-soft", localedir)
---

It works fine on french Windows but not on my Linux box (Ubuntu Breezy) :
when the script use the french .mo it displays unexcepted chararcters where
I had my french accents   :(

Before using msgfmt.py on my po file I was carefull to indicate the french
charset in the " ":
---

---
but I'm note sure if msgfmt use this charset declaration.

I've also tried later to add  an encoding declaration in my script (first
line) but that didn't help either:
# -*- coding: iso-8859-1 -*-

I've also tried this without success (except I've got other strange chars
which are the same whatever I put in "encoding" var):

localedir= "locale"
encoding= "iso-8859-1"
gettext.install("liberlab-soft", localedir, encoding)

The script (liberlab-soft.py) and the french po and mo file :
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/liberlab/liberlab-software/

Thanks for help, hints ...please, s'il vous plait  :)

francois