[I18n-sig] First draft of Unicode howto

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Sat Aug 6 13:42:45 CEST 2005

A.M. Kuchling wrote:
> I've written the first draft of a howto explaining some of Python's
> Unicode support.
>
> 	http://www.amk.ca/python/howto/unicode
>
> This is not an area where I have a lot of expertise, so it's probable
> there are errors in the document; comments would be greatly welcomed.
> (I've joined the i18n-sig mailing list, so feel free to discuss issues
> publicly; private e-mail is also fine, of course.)
>
> The 'Tips for Writing Unicode-aware Programs' is also very sparse,
> because I couldn't come up with much of anything very helpful.
> Suggestions for this section would also be appreciated.

You might want to add a reference to a talk I gave at the
LSM this year in Dijon:

Designing Unicode-aware Applications in Python:
http://www.egenix.com/files/python/LSM2005-Developing-Unicode-aware-applications-in-Python.pdf

It touches upon some things that you've already discussed in
the howto and also includes a few hints on howto to approach
i18n in Python in general (though this part is not complete -
there's only so much you can do in 60 minutes).

I'll probably do the talk again next year at EuroPython 2005,
CERN, Switzerland.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Aug 06 2005)