[I18n-sig] pygettext and msgfmt support for distutils

Barry Warsaw barry@python.org
22 Apr 2003 15:22:41 -0400

On Sat, 2003-04-19 at 14:20, Bernhard Herzog wrote:
> Barry Warsaw <barry@python.org> writes:
>
> > I haven't had time to look at the latest xgettext, but do you know if it
> > supports all the extra features that pygettext supports?
>
> AFAICT python support means mostly that it understands the python syntax
> enough to recognize all string literals correctly.

That's a good start, for sure.

> > Of primary
> > importance to me is the -D/--docstrings and -X/--no-docstrings options.
>
> There doesn't seem to be support for this. At least there's nothing in
> the docs about this.

Ok, IBWNI.  BTW, the reason I want this is mostly because I put usage
information in module docstrings for command line scripts.  I really
don't want to use something like:

__doc__ = _("""mailmanctl -- start and stop the qrunner daemons
""")

I use this as

def usage(...):
   print _(__doc__)

And I just want to be able to say, okay, extract the docstring for
bin/mailmanctl, but not for certain other files.

-Barry