[I18n-sig] Re: pygettext.py extraction of docstrings

Barry A. Warsaw barry@wooz.org
Fri, 25 May 2001 10:20:58 -0400

Ah cool.

For those just coming in: the issue is that pygettext.py extracts
Python docstrings if you give it the -D/--docstring flag.  I want to
mark such docstrings in the .pot file because translators may not want
or need to translate every docstring.

The documentation for .po file comments is a little sparse here.  I
agree that the logical place for such markings is in the #, comments,
e.g.:

#, docstring
#: Mailman/Archiver/Archiver.py:142
msgid "The mbox name where messages are left for archive construction."
msgstr ""

But the po-file format documentation doesn't say that additional flags
can be defined for #, comments.  It seems to me a simple omission in
the documentation, right?  Is the intent of #, flags that the
extraction tools can define additional, language-specific flags?

-Barry