[I18n-sig] Python Support for "Wide" Unicode characters

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 10:54:56 +0200

martin wrote:

> > Sorry, I don't understand the point you were making here.
>
> I still would prefer if the default was wchar_t if available, so I'd
> get a wide Python from distributors as default. As it stands, most
> distributors will ship a narrow Python 2.2, since they are unlikely to
> change the default settings.

I haven't ruled out "wchar_t" as a default for 2.2, but we shouldn't make
the switch right now -- popular subsystems may not be 32-bit ready (the
xml stuff, tkinter and other gui toolkits).

Just give it a little more calendar time.

Cheers /F