[I18n-sig] Python Support for "Wide" Unicode characters

Fri, 29 Jun 2001 00:38:26 +0200

> > > So there is no way to get the heuristic of "wchar_t if available, UCS-4
> > > if not". I'm not complaining, just checking. The list of options is just
> > > two with ucs2 the default.
> >
> > I'd be complaining, though, if I wasn't that pleased with this PEP
> > overall.
>
> Sorry, I don't understand the point you were making here.

I still would prefer if the default was wchar_t if available, so I'd
get a wide Python from distributors as default. As it stands, most
distributors will ship a narrow Python 2.2, since they are unlikely to
change the default settings.

Since I like the overall design of this patch very much, I'm not going
to start long discussions on the detail of some default setting.