[I18n-sig] Re: [XML-SIG] Character encodings and expat

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 19:32:13 +0100

"Martin v. Loewis" wrote:

> > I don't get it: Python provides a new Unicode type on all platforms
> > even ones which don't support Unicode at all. An even better:
> > it is guaranteed to work the same on all platforms.
>
> I don't have too much problems with the Unicode type itself (although
> I had preferred a solution that uses wchar_t as the element type where
> available).

The implementation does use wchar_t where available and
usable (meaning that sizeof(wchar_t) == 2).

> > You'll never get the same level of conformance with platform
> > specific codecs since there are simply too many issues involved.
> >
> > Besides, what's the point in argueing against having a fairly
> > complete set of codecs in the standard distribution ?
>
> Speed, perhaps? What is the point of having the bsddb module when we
> have dumbdbm?

If you need speed, you can always write your own codecs and
use them for processing your data. The codec registry is
open in all directions...

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg