[I18n-sig] Re: [XML-SIG] Character encodings and expat

Tue, 31 Oct 2000 19:09:33 +0100

> I don't get it: Python provides a new Unicode type on all platforms
> even ones which don't support Unicode at all. An even better:
> it is guaranteed to work the same on all platforms.

I don't have too much problems with the Unicode type itself (although
I had preferred a solution that uses wchar_t as the element type where
available).

> You'll never get the same level of conformance with platform
> specific codecs since there are simply too many issues involved.
>
> Besides, what's the point in argueing against having a fairly
> complete set of codecs in the standard distribution ?

Speed, perhaps? What is the point of having the bsddb module when we
have dumbdbm?