[I18n-sig] Locales module

Peter Funk pf@artcom-gmbh.de
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 08:29:42 +0100 (MET)

Hi!

Andy Robinson:
> >> 3.  Locales:
> >> --------------
> >> Implement a candidate module for the standard library offering support
> >> for the world's date, time, money and number formats, and for time
> >> zones.
> >
> >Hmm, I'd suggest to leave this out of the core and provide it
> >through third party extensions which are then shipped by some
> >Python distribution party.
>
> This is definitely not an issue for the language core, and I agree it
> should start out as something separate.  There was some discussion of
> it going into the standard library in due course, and Guido did not
> say 'no'!
>
> Would anyone like to take this on?  It isn't really my field.  I guess
> we should start by reviewing what other systems do and how well they
> work.

Please excuse my ignorance, if I've missed something.  But you sure know
about 'locale.py', which already comes included with Python 1.5.2
and works very well for me together with time.strftime. (at least under
several flavours of Unix/Linux, its currently  missing from Jacks
ready to run Mac-ppython package).

What additional functionality should the upcoming module provide?

Regards, Peter
--
Peter Funk, Oldenburger Str.86, 27777 Ganderkesee, Tel: 04222 9502 70, Fax: -60