[I18n-sig] Locales module

Andy Robinson andy@robanal.demon.co.uk
Wed, 09 Feb 2000 02:10:42 GMT

On Tue, 08 Feb 2000 15:31:43 +0100, you wrote:

>> 3.  Locales:
>> --------------
>> Implement a candidate module for the standard library offering support
>> for the world's date, time, money and number formats, and for time
>> zones.
>
>Hmm, I'd suggest to leave this out of the core and provide it
>through third party extensions which are then shipped by some
>Python distribution party.

This is definitely not an issue for the language core, and I agree it
should start out as something separate.  There was some discussion of
it going into the standard library in due course, and Guido did not
say 'no'!

Would anyone like to take this on?  It isn't really my field.  I guess
we should start by reviewing what other systems do and how well they
work.

- Andy