[group-organizers] RSVPs

sheila miguez shekay at pobox.com
Tue Jun 9 16:02:07 CEST 2015

On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 8:49 AM, Ned Batchelder <ned at nedbatchelder.com>
wrote:

> Charging money then refunding it at the event sounds like a huge pain, and
> feels kind of unfriendly.

I agree with that for a monthly meeting.

I've noticed the Software Carpentry folks have a minor charge for their
extended workshops, where they have a different problem to solve.

http://software-carpentry.org/workshops/operations.html

Should the Workshop Be Free to Learners?

The host and admin also need to decide whether the workshop is free or not.
On the one hand, we want workshops to be as accessible as possible. On the
other hand, charging $20-$40 for registration cuts the number of no-shows
from 20-25% to 5% or less. Note that:

If the host decides to charge for registration and keep the revenue to
defray the cost of catering and other expenses, we will still manage
registration so that we can see how it's going, release people from the
waiting list, access registrant information, etc.
Be aware that as soon as you charge anything at all—even a refundable
deposit—some venues will charge for use of the space.
Refundable deposits are great in theory, but are an administrative
nightmare in practice.

In general, I prefer not to charge for anything, unless it's an electronics
workshop with expensive equipment.
shekay at pobox.com