[group-organizers] Projecting screens during office hours events

sheila miguez shekay at pobox.com
Fri Aug 28 16:47:25 CEST 2015

Hi all,

I projected an etherpad and a jupyter session during office hours with
varying degrees of success. Have other people running project nights or
office hours projected etherpads and interactive python sessions?

tl;dr

I had fun at python office hours this week by projecting a notebook from
try.jupyter.org. The notebook is in communities/pyladies/Python 101.ipynb.

I was sitting near a couple of people working through some
http://exercism.io/languages/python exercises, and it helped to project the
notebook up so that I could show both of them examples of string formatting.

And at the beginning of office hours, I projected up an agenda and every
now and then would paste urls people mentioned.

Here's the pad from this week https://etherpad.mozilla.org/NTkPVYPnif

This was the first time I had an etherpad open while running an event, and
it didn't get used as much as I expected for sharing links or comments, but
the interactive notebook experience was good. I'll try it out for a few
more events to see how helpful it is. If it doesn't add much, I'll drop it.

I'm going to maintain a bit.ly link to pads so that I don't need to
remember horrible urls. http://bit.ly/etherpyoo (the nickname at ps1 for
our office hours is PYOO. It sounds like cartoon lasers. pyew pyew)

shekay at pobox.com