[group-organizers] Mass Add

Kevin Horn kevin.horn at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 04:02:59 CEST 2015

Howdy!

I've been lurking on this list for quite a while, but it's so low-traffic I
had kind of forgotten I was subscribed to it.  An intro thread is a great
idea to change that!

My name's Kevin Horn and I'm one of the co-organizers of DFW Python
(Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas).  I'm also one of the organizers of PyTexas and a
board member of the newly formed PyTexas Foundation.  Shameless plug:
PyTexas will be held in College Station, TX (yes, again) September 25th -
27th this year.  Come and see us!

I recognize quite a few names here, and I've even met a few of you in
person.  Nice to see you all (in some cases, again).

Sheila M: Don't you also help maintain pyvideo.org?  Thanks for that.
Also, office hours at a hackerspace is an idea I hadn't considered.  Could
I convince you to elaborate on that (perhaps in a separate thread)?

Barbara: Any chance you can come teach a class at PyTexas again this year?
We missed you last year...

Randy: I really enjoyed your talks at PyTexas last year (I actually just
rewatched one of them last week).  Hope to see you again, though I know
it's a bit of a hike for you.

Nice to "meet" the rest of you!

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 8:37 PM, sheila miguez <shekay at pobox.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm Sheila Miguez, another Chicago person, and I was very inspired to run
> some events after watching a talk[1] by Asheesh and Jessica a while back
> about the Boston group.
>
> I help run python office hours at my hackerspace[2] as well as a monthly
> python project night hosted at Braintree. Once or twice a year depending on
> student availability I help run Open Sources Comes to Campus[3]. It's not
> strictly python, but the projects section has been all python due to
> founder effect.
>
> I've also recently started helping NumFOCUS[4] as a tech flunky. NumFOCUS
> runs events like PyData.
>
> I'd like to hear what other groups do for their office hours/project night
> types of events. How much structure do you provide, and do you recruit
> instructor attendees?
>
> [1] <
>
> http://pyvideo.org/video/719/diversity-in-practice-how-the-boston-python-user
> >.