[Edu-sig] Editors/IDEs for teaching

Aivar Annamaa aivar.annamaa at ut.ee
Tue Jul 3 14:26:33 EDT 2018

Hi!

I am author of Thonny. My initial target group was my students in our
university's first programming course (CS 101 according to your
taxonomy). I wanted an easy way to show them the exact meaning of main
programming concepts. Thonny was later successfully used in several
MOOC-s (both adults and high school pupils, probably same level as your
CS 100) and also with high school students in an after school program
(young learners). According to web forums it looks like independent
learners also use it, but I don't have much feedback from this group.

Like Nicholas, I don't intend to copy every feature from professional
IDE-s. I do intend to add some new features for beginners, for example
error explanation service (instructions for fixing common syntax errors,
interpretations of NameErrors etc, reminders about putting str or int in
correct places etc). Please add your opinions about which errors should
it target:
https://bitbucket.org/plas/thonny/issues/458/offer-explanations-for-common-errors

BTW, Thonny also comes with Python built-in and it has plug-ins for
MicroPython support (https://bitbucket.org/plas/thonny-micropython).

best regards,
Aivar