[Edu-sig] REQ: HOWTO mailing lists resources

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 18:16:20 EDT 2018

Mailman list admin resources, scope clarification

Here are the mailman 3 docs:
http://docs.mailman3.org/en/latest/

IDK how much of the mailman 2 docs still apply?
https://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/docs.html

Here's the first result for search("docker mailman")
https://github.com/maxking/docker-mailman

And here are the "Mailman Suite Installation" > "Mailman 3 in Docker" docs:
http://docs.mailman3.org/en/latest/prodsetup.html#mailman-3-in-docker

TBH, securing and upgrading mailing lists is beyond the competencies of
most volunteer-run organizations;
which is one reason that I'd recommend Google Groups or similar for most
organisations.

In my experience, ISPs offer GUI installers for various app on shared
hosting platforms, but upgrades aren't managed in the same GUI; which
requires a volunteer to keep the apps upgraded with at least security
updates.

A VPS and/or container hosting doesn't make upgrading a one-click process;
but sets the bar to where the list admin needs to be competent with SSH and
ideally a configuration management system so that when they hand off admin
responsibilities that organizational knowledge is preserved.

Docker containers are often not secure by default; but can be extended FROM
with commands in the Dockerfile, a shell script, or a configuration
management tool which can apply a secure policy baseline. I haven't
reviewed any of the containers linked here.

Moreso interested to learn of new resources which teach how to contribute
to an existing mailing list.

Google Groups seems much easier for onboarding non-technical people without
needing to forward everything.

As an assumed public context, it may be fair to say that mailing lists
elicit more helpful communications than non-archived email.