[Edu-sig] REQ: HOWTO mailing lists resources

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 17:00:33 EDT 2018

> But where does it teach me TO mailing list?
> I think that's the real question here.

Just to clarify what you're asking, here's a use case:

I was a volunteer Clerk of IT for a religious group that conducts business
on-line but mostly by stowing information at a website, with all the
headaches of managing logins to control who gets to post where.  Drupal.

My recommendation was we imitate Python.org a lot more by setting up
mailman listservs with varying degrees of visibility to the public (some
are members only and so on).  I set up a Google Group by was of
demonstration and ran it for a couple years.  It's still out there.

The advantage of mail-lists are not only are they searchable but they
maintain the context and threads of conversation, great for organizational
memory. However, for historical reason, our clerks prefer to use conference
calls in real time, with someone taking minutes for the archives.  A lose a
lot that way.

There's lots more listserv use since my tenure ended, by various interest
groups, but no centralized place at the regional level for these listservs
to go, which is probably just fine (we're pretty informal), however I never
did find how I could get mailman servers installed at our ISP, back when I
was filing reports and proposals.

Our ISP only offered ancient majordomo as a listserv option, with precious
little information on how to set one up.

How does one set up a bunch of domain-name specific mail servers ala
Python's mm3, is that in the ballpark of what you're asking?