[Edu-sig] Interactive Coding Web Pages?

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 19:38:26 EDT 2016

Alas I lost my osgarden.appspot.com to the new Google App Engine too.

Just a simple I-Ching machine based on Unicode in the source... far less
sophisticated than Pykata.

I'm one who thinks fierce concentration on projects feeds the Zeitgeist in
ways we cannot measure accurately.

Pygeo made a big difference too, in opening a sense of what's possible.
Arthur's projective geometry package.

A limited attention span means many projects go unsung, but not necessarily
because they lack merit.

Projects like Struck and Packinon shaped a lot of my thinking in their day,
in the small pond I was a big fish in.

Some projects I saw get off the ground are still key: vZome by Scott
Vorthmann and Antiprism by Adrian Rossiter come to mind (neither a Python
project).

VPython remains on my radar as one of those most critical to get working in
the cloud as part of the student experience. I want spatial geometry not
just the flat stuff.

In a virtual desktop, as on a local laptop, one can use Vpython.  But I'm
not so sure there's an in-browser solution. Also when it comes to learning
to code, I favor an IDE over Notebooks.  The latter might be more for
prettification and/or sharing with coworkers. It's not either / or. Use IDE
to develop then frame it and summarize for public use in a Notebook.
Another way to export an API.

Anaconda comes with both Spyder (IDE) and Jupyter Notebooks for a reason.