[Edu-sig] Interactive Coding Web Pages?

Andre Roberge andre.roberge at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 14:06:36 EDT 2016

Hello Peter,

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 2:24 PM, Peter Farrell <funcalculus at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello to the Group!
>
> I'm redesigning my math-using-Python-programming course and need your
> input.
>
> I'd like to have the participants enter their code on a site like they do
> at CodingBat or CodeWars: the site tests the code and immediately gives the
> user feedback.
>
> Has anybody done this? Is there a template available for doing this, or is
> it a custom job?
>
> Is there an easier way, using an online IDE where teachers can set up
> classes? Would you recommend going with IPython/Jupyter notebooks instead?

Although it was not designed specifically for this type of application in
mind, if no better suggestion is made, you could use Reeborg's World to do
this.  I just made a quick "demo world" using the current development
version.

To view it, go to:

http://reeborg.ca/reeborg.html?lang=en&mode=python

Enter the following line in the editor and press the "run" button  (near
the top left)

World("/worlds/double.json")

When offered, click to replace the code in the editor.

Modify the code as you wish, and run the program.

====
When you are done, click on "World info" at the top: this can contain any
information you wish to include as instruction.

To view how this was done, click on "Additional options" and then "Edit
World".  You can then move around/minimize the floating windows to reveal 6
editors (on per tab). The relevant code was inserted in the "post" editor.

====
In principle (although I have not fully tested this with this new
development version) you could easily create an entire customized menu of
such "worlds" (available via the html selector at the top).  How to do this
is described at
http://reeborg.ca/docs/en/reference/worlds.html#creating-custom-menus

One thing that I know to be broken with this new version is the "permalink"
option (which the example given makes use of).  The "old" version (
http://reeborg.ca/world.html) should still work for those examples.

> Any input you have would be appreciated.

Others might very well have some more suitable suggestions for what you
have in mind.  If not, and you think that Reeborg's World *might* be
suitable, do not hesitate to contact me for any further assistance.  Note
that this approach is limited to using only "pure" Python libraries - you
could not use matplotlib examples for instance.

André