[Edu-sig] remembering Python...

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 22:57:34 EDT 2016

Here's the somewhat nostalgically named "Remembering Python":

https://youtu.be/6xQxhD29Rdc  (a short Youtube for Python teachers)

Twas from a last session (ten of ten) looking back on what we'd covered.

I'm not excerpting this recording verbatim from the class.

Rather, I'm going over some of what I've learned as a mentor, about ways to
share Python.

There's a Jupyter Notebook to go along:

http://nbviewer.jupyter.org/github/4dsolutions/Python5/blob/master/Remembering1.ipynb

Not that much to it, content-wise (it's short).

In the Notebook and in the class notes (see "whiteboard") I hint at another
"deep well":  the special names.

__invert__ in this case.  I use it for encrypt / decrypt (permutations).

I call these __ribs__ or "scaffolding" for use "backstage" in my banter.

Learning Python involves learning this given special names.

I notice in my two test browsers, the output of dir(__builtins__) gets
truncated, chopped off, in the cited Notebook.

Rendering directly on Github does not have this problem:

https://github.com/4dsolutions/Python5/blob/master/Remembering1.ipynb

On another topic, I attended the most recent Python User Group and followed
up with this listserv posting:

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/portland/2016-March/001744.html

(talks about the user group towards the end and leads to more links).