[Edu-sig] Fwd: [SIGCSE-members] Python environment - web based?

Berkin Malkoc malkocb at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 08:40:39 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 6:03 PM, Andrew Harrington <aharrin at luc.edu> wrote:

> This is a good subject to revisit, on web based Python.  I like his
> interest in Python+math, too.
> Andy

Getting software installed on K-12 computers can be very difficult. To avoid
> that collection of problems, I would like to be able to host a development
> environment on my own servers, so the students will need nothing more than a
> web browser (and Internet connection). Does anyone know of any off-the-shelf
> solutions? Though I'm leaning toward Python, I'm not yet committed.

Sage [1] can be a great option in these kind of situations. It can be tried
online [2] and there are a couple of places [3] where you are guided through
the process of setting up your own Sage servers.

Regards,
Berkin

[1] http://www.sagemath.org
[2] http://www.sagenb.org/