[Edu-sig] Python and pre-algebra

mary.dooms at comcast.net mary.dooms at comcast.net
Thu Jun 30 01:15:42 CEST 2011

I teach 6th grade math and Python was suggested as a way to apply pre-algebra concepts in a programming context. My programming background consists of one C++ programming class. How do I begin? Are lesson plans and small programs available, for example, where students could write and "drop in" a script that includes integers and the output would not only calculate it, but see the relevance of it in a real world situation?

Or, perhaps, the program controls a "wheelchair" robot and students would write scripts to drive the robot at a certain speed considering the slope of a ramp?

As you can see, I am a novice, but I see great potential and am willing to learn.

Thanks,

Mary