[Edu-sig] Wiki-to-Speech at Kiwi PyCon

John Graves john.graves at aut.ac.nz
Tue Aug 30 03:15:43 CEST 2011

Just returned from a weekend at Kiwi PyCon
http://nz.pycon.org/2011/jan/23/kiwi-pycon-2011-wellington-27-28-august-te-whaea/
where we had some great talks.

This was my lightning talk about Wiki-to-Speech (16 slides, includes computer generated voice overs):
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12838403/20110822/pycon2011.htm

I'm working now to make as many other talks as possible available as Wiki-to-Speech presentations.
For example, here is a Wiki-to-Speech version of Saturday's
keynote by Jeff Rush - The magic of metaprogramming
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12838403/20110827/metaprogramming.htm

How the Wiki-to-Speech version was made:

The notes for Jeff's talk were captured on an Etherpad:
http://ietherpad.com/kiwipycon2011-jeff-rush
as were notes from half (one track) of the rest of the conference
http://ietherpad.com/kiwipycon2011

Jeff provided his slides as a directory of S5 files.
Here is the S5 tool:
http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/s5/

I took screen shots of those slides and pasted them into an Open Office Impress presentation
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12838403/20110827/metaprogramming.odp
putting the text from my Etherpad notes in the speaker notes for each slide.
The slide images and .odp file were then processed by the Wiki-to-Speech from ODP utility (odp2wts.py)
available from
http://wikitospeech.org (compiled for Mac and Windows)
http://openallureds.org (source)
which generated the slide voice overs using text-to-speech and wrapped the slide images and
resulting .mp3 and .ogg files in HTML with a bit of navigation.

One great suggestion from Francois Marier
http://www.slideshare.net/fmarier
was to take the generated output one step further,
using the slide images and computer generated text-to-speech to produce a video
by using ffmpeg.  This is now an enhancement request on the open source Wiki-to-Speech project
http://code.google.com/p/open-allure-ds/issues/detail?id=12
if anyone is interested in helping out.

How would you like to be able to create slides, add what you want said to the speaker notes
and have the presentation output as a video with computer generated voice overs?

John Graves
PhD Student
Auckland University of Technology
New Zealand