[Edu-sig] Progamming advice.

Christian Mascher christian.mascher at gmx.de
Wed Apr 8 16:25:13 CEST 2009

Hi Gary,

Kirby is right: this is what you should be looking at.
> There's the design patterns literature, sometimes fun to just eyeball
> so you get used to seeing patterns, even if different from the ones
> described.

Some IMHO really good books on the practical aspects of software design
with agile languages are:

Refactoring, by Martin Fowler. You have probably heard of this book.

Smalltalk Best Practice Patterns, by Kent Beck.
A set of "rules" how to write cleaner code (in Smalltalk). I like it,
because it adresses little, practical aspects like appropriate naming
("Role suggesting temporary variable name", , "Type suggesting parameter
name") which can be applied to Python-code (weakly typed like
Smalltalk). I am not aware of a similar book for Python. Does anyone?

(Kent Beck also wrote a book on Test-Driven Delopment where he actually
uses Python in the second part.)

HTH

Christian