[Edu-sig] computer algebra

DiPierro, Massimo MDiPierro at cs.depaul.edu
Thu Dec 11 07:04:29 CET 2008

The problem is that calculus tends to deal with the concept of infinitesimally small and O(eps) is used for small eps. Computer Science tends to deal with complexity and O(n) is used for large n. The Big-Oh definitions are different:

i) In calculus f(x) in O(g(x)) iff lim_{x\rightarrow 0} f(x)/g(x) < \infty

ii) In CS f(x) in O(g(x)) iff lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} f(x)/g(x) < \infty

It is common to use (i) to teach calculus (I was thought that way) but it is not common to use (ii) to teach algorithms. I do so in my notes for Design and Analysis of Algorithms [1]
and students like it but many computer scientists believe that using limits is just an extra step.

Massimo

[1]http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Emdipierro/algorithms-animator/devel/download/3/csc321notes.pdf-20080914191632-ofooevmsoqqnkrpz-6/csc321notes.pdf?file_id=csc321notes.pdf-20080914191632-ofooevmsoqqnkrpz-6