[Edu-sig] Bionic Snaketalk (proposed metaphorics)

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 01:35:53 CEST 2007

That proteins (control/data structures), biota (functions & generators),
skeletals (classes/types) discussion went OK, but I ended up deepening
the meme pool with:  aquaria or zoos (modules).

I didn't even mention packages (ala __init__.py), yet another unit of
depth.  Plus site-packages itself may have many of those (VPython
a case in point).

Plus you might have multiple snake engines (a 2.x, a 3.x).

Anyway, I think adding modules as an outer container sounds good, as
these other components all go towards filling a module:  not just classes,
not just functions.  Data structures may well be top level (*especially*
data structures), such as a list of all cities of more than a million people,
with latitude and longitude tuples.

Tweaking povtoyz.py is harder than tweaking viztoyz.py, at least with the
colors, in part because I embed default texture info in my polyhedra.py.

Others might choose to refactor here.

I sampled Animusic 2 rather heavily again, talking about how rendered
action might be driven by a MIDI stream:

http://www.atomfilms.com/film/animusic_starship.jsp