[Edu-sig] Bionic Snaketalk (proposed metaphorics)

Richard Guenther heistooheavy at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 19 18:23:24 CEST 2007

In the same way that Python programmers like to compare python to other languages in sheer line count of code (see the page bottom of this example from Peter Norvig), I like to compare the first three or four chapters of beginning programming books about Python to beginning books for other languages.

I remember finding a big pile of C++ "introductory" books in our schools storage room.  After asking around I found out the school actually had a programming class in the past that "just didn't catch on".  Looking at those texts, I can see why....

Luckily, enough time has passes that no students now remember that C++ class anymore.  I have more of a "blank slate" to introduce to Python and IDLE.

Richard